Judy Anderson:
Judy and Bud Anderson, Part 5

February 16, 2010, from interviews Summer 2009

- Susan Freis Falknor


Over a Century...
Family Stories
School Days
Bob & Ellen Jones
Judy & Bud
From Judy's Attic

Judy. This is one of my memories that was so fun. Farmers went around "thrashing," they called it. And they would go from one farm to another. They all worked together. And they would come, and whoever they were working for that day would have just a huge dinner ? lunch? to feed the hands. And it was a big production. It was almost like a contest -who could feed 'em the best!

So they actually used this where we're sitting-what used to be a porch. And when we lived in Bluemont that was a big day for us. We had to get up early, a lot of things to cook. I was just a kid, but we could set basins out on the cement patio, so they could all wash up. And they'd all talk. They'd all sit at the table and pass everything down. And we'd bake pies, and everything would be homemade. And you'd feed them till you'd think - how could they go out and work in the heat after that-- but they did.

There was this one women and we were just amazed by the fact that she worked just like a man. She was the only woman in that group that would come.

Susan. You said they went around. But were these local people but not people with farms?

Judy. Yes, they did have farms. You would go to their farm. They were beautiful farmers.

So it was like a joint effort. We'll take care of you and then take care of me and then take care of him.

Judy. Yes. And it would be the farm hands-you'd have hired hands on the farm as well as the owner of the farm, but you would all travel together till they got everything done. And as kids, we would be filling up ice tea glasses, running for the dessert things. It was a big deal for us when they came to our house. And then they would move on to the next farm.

Judy. And no money changed hands. It was bartering.

Susan. And what time of year was this?

Judy. Well, it must have been in the summer because we were home from school. I don't really remember. Well, my husband would know a lot more about the farming part of it, because I was more on the inside than the outside. That was when they had the hay ricks, you know, the big clumps of hay, and the corn-cut the corn and then tie it in the bundles to dry. They called it thrashing and he could tell you more about it. It was a fun time. It was a lot of hard work, but everybody worked together.

Bud Anderson comes in and Judy introduces him.

Judy. I was trying to tell her what "thrashing" was-but I couldn't tell her exactly when they did that or what they did. But I told her you would know.

Bud. Well, you had a big machine, and you went out first and cut your wheat and barley and oats, whatever. Chopped it up. Course you had to put it in the wagon, and this big machine there you had to feed it in to, that separates the grain from the straw.

Susan. Sounds like all that is happening in the fall, or late summer.

Yes. Late summer.

Judy. And I was telling her about how they just came together and they would go from one farm to another. No money was changing hands, just going from one to another.

Bud. Yes. Everybody trying to out- feed everybody else.

Judy. Very exciting, actually.

Bud. Oh, yes.

Judy. Fifteen to twenty people.

Bud. And we all raised hogs and killed beefs, so we had plenty of food. So pretty well self-sustaining. Potatoes, tomatoes, gallons of applesauce. Two or three families would get together to make applesauce and apple butter.

Susan. Can you tell me how you two met, and did you always know each other…

Bud. We met in seventh grade at Round Hill School down there.

Judy. Because they sent us to school there. They didn't have enough kids to form a seventh grade class in Bluemont so they sent us to Round Hill. And Bud and I were in the same grade.

Bud. I sat right behind her. She was something. She completely ignored me. Very quiet.

Judy. I was very shy.

Well, that's a long time-a long time for a girl-next-door friendship.

Bud. Yes. I went into the service, I came back again. We got together. I came back, she finally talked to me. Later we got married.

Judy. When I married, we moved to Baltimore as Bud was stationed at Fort Holabird there. We were there five years and after commuting by train to DC for a while, I transferred as a secretary to the Coast Guard in downtown Baltimore.

When Valerie was born in 1963, I quit working to be a stay-at-home Mom.

Bud went to Vietnam in 1966. I stayed with my parents in Bluemont until he got back. Upon his return left the Army after 9 years of service.

We moved to Alexandria where he went to work for the Postal Service. Our two sons, Todd and Eric, were born while we lived there.

In 1971, we bought our current house from my grandmother, Pearl Osburn Jones, and began an extensive remodeling project that continues to this day!

This had been a tenant house for all of this time.

Bud. It was a shell.

Judy. A dirty, dirty shell. But we started working on it.

Susan. It's so beautiful now, and so comfortable. It doesn't seem like a place that had really been run downhill.

Judy. It was ready to be knocked down. I don't know if we would have started working on it if we had known the extent of it?with a 6-month old baby, Eric. Todd was 2, and Valerie was in second grade. It was very challenging.

I worked at Farm Credit/Country Mortgages in Leesburg for 23 years. It was a great place to work. I started as a customer service representative and advanced to a Loan Officer. I retired in January 2007 and still miss my co-workers and clients, who became friends as we worked closely with them. Everyone had a name, not a number!

In 1972, I started selling Tupperware as a means to supplement our income. Once Valerie had started college and the boys were in school, I quit that to get a job where I could be home at night. I missed my clients who had become like family, but my job with Farm Credit turned out to be the best thing I could have done.

Now in retirement, I work part-time for Teresa Hagaman, the owner and founder of Tah-Da! Inc. Teresa does home staging to get houses ready to go on the market. I have been with her for two years and now work out of my home. It's an interesting business and allows me to keep in touch with a lot of the same realtors I worked with when I was a loan officer. In addition, I keep busy with projects for our church, Bluemont United Methodist, and there is literally no time to be bored!

A Truly Compatible Couple

Judy. It'll be 10 years in July [2009] when I gave him one of my kidneys -- that was one of our big adventures. We had a lot in the paper about that. It was not so common 10 years ago.

Bud. We had a reporter from the Washington Post. We had a party.

Judy. In June or July 1999. We called it a "Fun-Raiser" (not a "fund-raiser). We had a huge picnic here right before the surgery and one of our friends called this reporter. They sent a photographer and a reporter who went to Charlottesville, where we had the surgery. We had pictures of us going into surgery, and the whole thing. Pictures of our friends that were waiting. It was a big write-up.

Left: Article in the Washington Post. Right: Article in the Loudoun Times Mirror. See more images of these articles.

Susan. And everything turned out ok.

Bud. Yes, but a lot of side effects.

Judy. We've had our problems, transplant patients are prone to skin cancer, diabetes. Like any transplant patient, you have to take so much medication. And we're still hanging on, though he does have problems.

A lot of side effects but she's given me ten good years.

Judy. People always say, when they find out about it, "Well, at least you all were a match." And I say, "well, we've been married forty-some years."

Bud shows a notebook-size pill organizer.

Oh, what is that?

That's his pills -- for today.

That's really a big dose! I can see you are a very compliant patient.

Judy. Yes, he could be a pharmacist now. He knows so much about all these drugs. Always has to tell the doctors about the medication at checkups and things. There's a couple of them that they regulate by how you feel and such. And then in hospitals they don't let you bring in your own medicine any more.

Bud. Yes, a big problem in the hospitals, they won't let you bring your own medicine. And I understand, it's law suits and everything. And probably 60 -70 percent of the people don't know what they're taking.

Judy. He has to sign a release and all that.

Bud. I'm on study drugs also. I signed up for it --you know, maybe help somebody else. I had this knee replaced in October. I had the other knee replaced in 1998.

They had a big discussion at the hospital about my medicines. So I told them they had a choice: either I take my pills or I get the surgery elsewhere. So they called the head of surgery and the head pharmacist, and so on. Finally at the end everybody agreed. Plus when I went down to pre-admission they wanted to have my blood drawn. I said, "Why? I have my blood drawn every month, the first of every month." So I had a big discussion there. I said, "Why would you charge me twice for something I've already had done?" The nurse was kind of tough about it. But I said, "I just had it done, I'm not going to have it done again."

Judy. And then sometimes they want you to write out your medications - but we bring in a list. Why would we want to write it all down again?

...previous... ...next...